You will need to arrange the academic portion of your Individual Study or Research as usual, identifying a faculty member who will oversee and assess your work, and obtaining the required approval signatures, etc. The form that must be completed and filed with the Registrar is here:
If your Individualized Study involves domestic overnight or international travel (for any reason or length of time), you will also need to follow the protocol below. You should schedule with a Study Abroad Advisor in International Education to guide you through these steps by phoning 651.962.6450.
For both domestic and international travel:
- Complete the online travel registration. Your Study Abroad Advisor will provide you with a link to the registration page.
For International Travel Only:
- Based on your travel registration, you will be enrolled in CISI Insurance, a comprehensive health, travel and safety insurance policy. The cost of the insurance will be billed to your UST student account.
- Register your travel with the U.S. Department of State through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.
- If your destination country is considered 'Developing World' you must make an appointment at St. Thomas Student Health Services for a pre-departure Travel Clinic visit (or with your personal physician if you prefer). Schedule this as far in advance as possible since preventative vaccines often require long lead times. If you are traveling abroad but to places such as Western Europe (the 'Developed World'), you are highly advised to schedule a Travel Clinic appointment as well. Contact Student Health Services at 651.962.6750.
- International Travel requires a valid passport. Information on obtaining a passport is avaiable on the U.S. Department of State web site.
- If your destination country requires a visa, you can request to consult with an advisor in International Education about the process. Check here to see what your host country requires for entry.
Note that all university-related travel is subject to the Travel Warning Cancellation Policy.