This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
UST: Theology 101 in Rome
|Restrictions:||St. Thomas applicants only|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
There are currently no active application cycles for this program.
|Language of Instruction:||English, Italian||Class Standing:||1 - First Year|
|Minimum GPA:||2||Subject Areas:||Theology|
- Course is directed by Profs. Massimo Faggioli and Michael Hollerich, Theology.
- Visit historical and cultural sites throughout Rome and participate in day trips to Pompeii and Naples
- Prerequisites: Incoming 2013 first year students only. Priority application deadline: September 5, 2013.
- Fulfills: THEO101
This course is designed to acquaint students with the contents of the Bible and with Christian history, especially in the context of the Catholic tradition. Through careful reading of a core of common texts, a variety of site visits and guided tours, as well as written assignments, students are expected to attain a basic understanding of human experiences as interpreted by major areas of Christian theology (including revelation, God, creation, Jesus, and the Church). Emphasis will be placed on the city of Rome, its role in Christian history, and the cultural expressions of Christianity found in its environments.
This course will allow students to apply critical thinking to the analysis of theological arguments while making connections between the subject matter of theology and other disciplines of study (especially politics, art, history, and philosophy). Students will experience the enduring influence of Christianity on the history and culture of Rome and other Italian cities through the site visits, and will also experience the influence of Roman and Italian culture on Christianity. Students will engage in learning through a variety of essays, site visit reports, and a final exam.
20% Attendance and Lively Participation
15% Site Visit Reports
20% Final Exam
Location and Tentative Dates
December 30 Depart Twin Cities
December 31 Arrive in Rome
January 7 Day trip to Pompeii and Naples
January 26 Final Exam
January 28 Depart Rome and Arrive in Twin Cities
Costs: Click on the Budget Sheet link above for detailed cost information
Total Cost Includes: Transportation and course arrangements as indicated, hotel accommodations in twin and triple rooms, and some meals.
Application Procedures & Deadlines
- Select the Apply Now button at the top to start your online application.
- Login using your UST username and password.
- Complete all application materials by the application deadline. There will be a priority enrollment period from July 16 - Sept 5, 2013. We encourage students to apply by the priority deadline of Sept. 5. Applications will be accepted after the priority deadline on a space available basis until the final deadline of October 1, 2013.
- Carefully read the Short-Term Off-Campus Policies and Procedures. You are responsible for reading, understanding, and abiding by its content.
Final Application Deadline: October 1, 2013
To apply for aid during January Term, submit a January Term Financial Aid Application, available in early November, to the Financial Aid Office. Additional aid in the form of scholarships may also be available from St. Thomas and some co-sponsoring organizations. Refer to our Scholarships webpage for details. Review Short-Term Policies and Procedures for additional financial aid information. To verify and confirm all awards, meet with a Financial Aid Counselor.
For more information
On course content, contact Prof. Massimo Faggioli at 651.962.5484, firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Michael Hollerich at 651.962.5333, email@example.com
On application procedures or logistical information, contact:
University of St. Thomas
International Education Center (44 N. Cleveland)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA