This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
UMAIE: Archaeology and History in Rome
Rome, Italy (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||Final Application Deadline||Decision Timeline||Start Date||End Date|
|January Term||2016||10/01/2015 **||Rolling Admission||TBA||TBA|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be contacted shortly after all application materials are completed.
|Language of Instruction:||English||Housing Options:||Hotel|
THIS COURSE IS OPEN TO UMAIE STUDENTS ONLY
- In this prime world heritage site, we explore archaeological and historical evidence for ancient Roman society and culture from the beginnings to the early Christian times.
- Program Directors have an abundance of knowledge and resources of Rome and Italy due to previous experience leading courses overseas.
- Prerequisites: None
- Fulfills: HIST298, History major/minor elective
Rome is the largest archaeological site in the world. It was the physical and symbolic center of the Roman Empire. Ancient Roman and early Christian remains are woven into the fabric of the modern city. Three millennia of continuous occupation have created a unique urban tapestry and “museum without walls”, which offer the most immediate experience of the human past. The material remains come to life in the rich documentary and literary evidence from the ancient period. The original settings of diverse ancient voices will help us analyze a long range of historical periods as well as particular political, social, religious and cultural issues in the imperial capital. We shall experience and understand the issues of urban archaeology, such as excavation, conservation and presentation for tourists and experts. During the site visits to Ostia and Pompeii, we further explore the complexities of Roman urban life and link the past experiences to our current issues.
20% Attendance and Participation
40% Academic journal
10% Reflection Essays (3)
30% Research Paper
Location and Tentative Dates
January 6 Depart MSP
January 7-28 Site visits in Rome, Pompeii and Sorrento
January 29 Return to MSP
Click on the Budget Sheet link above for detailed cost information.
Total Cost Includes: Tuition, transportation and course arrangements as indicated, hotel accommodations and some meals.
Housing and Meals
Students will be housed in hotel accommodations in twin and triple rooms. Continental breakfast is provided daily as well as two lunches and three dinners (subject to change).
Application Procedures & Deadline
- Select the Apply Now button at the top to start your online application.
- Login using your UST username and password.
- Complete all application materials by the application deadline. Students are encouraged to apply during the priority enrollment period, April 1-10, 2015. Applications will be accepted after April 10 for programs with space still remaining until the final application deadline of October 1, 2015.
- Download and read Short-Term Off-Campus Policies and Procedures. You are responsible for reading, understanding and abiding by its content.
Final Application Deadline: October 1, 2015
To apply for aid during January Term, submit a January Term Financial Aid Application, available in early November, to the Financial Aid Office. Additional aid in the form of scholarships may also be available from St. Thomas and some co-sponsoring organizations. Refer to our Scholarships webpage for details. Review Short-Term Off-Campus Policies and Procedures for additional financial aid information. To verify and confirm all awards, meet with a Financial Aid Counselor.
For more information
On course content, contact: Prof. Ivancica Schrunk, (651) 962.5740, firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Thomas Schrunk, (612) 419.4124, email@example.com
On application procedures or logistical information, contact:
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
International Education Center (Murray-Herrick 212)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA