Skip to content

Get a Passport

Get a Passport

All travelers must have a valid passport and in some cases a visa to leave or enter the United States. U.S. students requiring a passport should not wait until the last minute to order one as processing can take up to four months. The Office of Study Abroad does not provide you with a passport. We recommend the U.S. Department of State web site for complete passport information, application and location of passport offices.

Obtaining a First-Time Passport

Below is a list of the things you will need for a new passport. 

1. Passport Application

2. Proof of Citizenship (birth certificate, proof of naturalization, consular report of birth                               abroad or certificate of citizenship

3. Current Identification (drivers license, or government issued identification card)

4. Two Photographs

5. Fee-$135 

When you recieve your new passport make a photocopy of the page with your photo and signature and keep it separate from your passport. In the event of your passport being lost or stolen, having the information on this page handy will speed up the replacement process. Immediately report a lost or stolen passport to the U.S. consulate and U.S. officials will direct you as to what to do.

Renewing Your Passport

A passport may be renewed while valid and within five years after expiration. For forms and instructions go to: http// Allow four to six weeks for processing. Your old passport will be returned to you. 

Getting Photos

On-campus photo service: MHC Card Office. Passport photos can also be obtained at Walgreens, CVS, etc.

Same Day (Emergency) Passport Information

Minneapolis Same-Day Passport Agency

In May 2009 the Department of State opened a passport issuance facility in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Minneapolis Passport Agency is located at 212 South Third Avenue in the Federal Building downtown Minneapolis and is designed to provide in-person passport services to American citizens throughout the North Central border region.

The Minneapolis Passport Agency serves U.S. citizens who have urgent/emergency travel needs  and has the capability to issue passport books and passport cards on-site to qualified applicants.

You may schedule an appointment at the Agency if:

  • you need your U.S. passport in less than 2 weeks for international travel
  • you need your U.S. passport within 4 weeks to obtain a foreign visa

See this link for more information about the center.