CIEE Summer Community Public Health Program in Santiago, Dominican Republic
With its underserved population facing a spate of social and health issues, the Dominican Republic offers you fascinating insight into the state of healthcare in the Hispanic Caribbean. Combining traditional classroom instruction with homestays and field work in both urban and semi-rural communities, you will explore firsthand the challenges confronting developing countries.
Study abroad in the Dominican Republic and you will:
- Improve your Spanish language skills through a homestay with a local family
- Examine a range of pre-professional healthcare and issues
- Engage with local patients and medical staff through a health practicum and clinical rotation
If you have an interest in Spanish language, medicine, and the allied health professions as they relate to underdevelopment and public health, explore them all in the Dominican Republic.
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
Application Process for Other Approved Programs
This program is offered through one of our approved program partners. In order to participate you must apply through, and be approved, by both St. Thomas and the program.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines
- Attend a group advising session. Dates posted online at stthomas.edu/studyabroad.
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection.
- Complete all St. Thomas application materials by the St. Thomas application deadline.
- Complete program application via the program’s website by their deadline.
October 1 for January Term and spring semester programs
March 15 for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
St Thomas Criteria for Participation
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Explore & Plan > Student Policies.
- Some programs have additional criteria.
Financial Aid Awards (grants, loans and scholarships) typically do NOT apply to Summer study abroad. Visit stthomas.edu/financialaid for more information.
The Office of Study Abroad, and other approved program partners, offers scholarships. Visit stthomas.edu/studyabroad, and the program’s website, for details.
For additional program information, contact the program partner.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad:
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
MHC 212 (Mail 5026)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA