Experience the dynamics of drug discovery and development, learn biotechnology-based methods for disease treatment, and widen your perspective on the relationship between academia and the biotech industry.
- Get hands-on experience through the Drug Development Project by interviewing and researching a Scandinavian biomedical company about their products and technology
- Gain insight into world-leading biotechnology research and development while on faculty-led study tours
- Visit leading biotechnology companies and research institutions to learn about new-generation biopharmaceuticals
The program is right for you if you study biology, biochemistry, health science, or a similar discipline, and wish to acquire skills for a future career in the health professions or a graduate degree.
Medical Biotechnology and Drug Development
Fall/Spring, 3 Credits
You will explore the impact that biotechnology has on medicine including vaccines, the use of antibodies as drugs, stem cells, and the impact of genomics on drug discovery. By delving into Danish and European pharmaceutical and biotech research case studies, you will also gain first-hand insight into the drug discovery and development process.
Week-Long Study Tour: Edinburgh (Fall) or London (Spring)
Core Course Week: Study tour to Western Denmark + a two-day seminar in Copenhagen
Prerequisites: One year of biology and one year of chemistry at university level.
Visit our website for the full list of over 250 additional electives!
Application Process for Other Approved Programs
This program is offered through one of our approved program partners. In order to participate you must apply through, and be approved, by both St. Thomas and the program.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines:
- Attend a first-step session. Dates posted online at stthomas.edu/studyabroad.
- Schedule an advising meeting. This meeting will review:
- any questions you have about studying abroad, including program selection if you are considering multiple programs.
- the course approval process
- how to apply to Other Approved Programs
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection.
- Complete all St. Thomas application materials by the St. Thomas application deadline.
- Complete program application via the program’s website by their deadline.
October 1 for January Term and spring semester programs
March 15 for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
St Thomas Criteria for Participation
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Explore & Plan > Student Policies.
- Some programs have additional criteria.
Financial Aid Awards (grants, loans and scholarships) typically apply to semester study abroad. Visit stthomas.edu/financialaid for instructions.
The Office of Study Abroad, and other approved program partners, offers scholarships. Visit stthomas.edu/studyabroad, and the program’s website, for details.
For additional program information, contact the program partner.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad:
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
MHC 212 (Mail 5026)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA