Spanish Studies Program - Alicante, Spain
Why choose Alicante?
Alicante, the jewel of the Costa Blanca, is a charming harbor city that is both tranquil in its coastal climate and vibrant with modern Spanish life. The culture, architecture, language, and people have all been shaped by the region's rich history of sea merchants and conquerors.
About the Spanish Studies Program
The Spanish Studies program is specially designed for intermediate and advanced students in Spanish who want a rich immersion experience on a campus in Spain. The program integrates thoughtful synthesis of homestays, study visits, language exchanges, volunteer, and other cultural opportunities into the curriculum, so that you may more fully integrate into the alicantino culture.
The goal of the Spanish Studies Program is to guide you to live as a member of alicantino culture, while gaining a profound understanding of your surroundings. Courses designed for international students learning Spanish and access to abundant cultural resources, workshops, and activities allow you to more fully integrate into campus life at Universidad de Alicante. A special Spanish Studies Abroad designed course in cultural immersion helps you to process your study abroad experience.
The goal of the Spanish Studies Program is to guide you to live as a member of alicantino culture, while gaining a profound understanding of your surroundings. Courses designed for international students learning Spanish and access to abundant cultural resources, workshops, and activities allow you to more fully integrate into campus life at Universidad de Alicante. A special Spanish Studies Abroad designed course in cultural immersion helps you to process your study abroad experience.Through this coursework, homestays with native families, and multiple cross-cultural opportunities, students will find Spanish Studies Abroad in Alicante to be a highly immersive study abroad experience.
LEARN THE LANGUAGE...
- Intensive Language Period, designed to prepare you for life and study at Universidad de Alicante
- Guided direct enrollment in courses specifically-designed for international students learning Spanish
- Classes taught by Spanish professors
- Independent Research Projects
- Intercambios with native speakers
TRAVEL THE LAND...
- All-inclusive program-sponsored study trips
- Visits to locations such as Granada, Barcelona, los castillos árabes of Alicante, Cathedral of San Nicolás, local museums and cultural sites, and more!
- Optional excursions to various other sites in Spain
LIVE THE LIFE...
- Spanish Studies Abroad-designed course to aid cultural adaptation
- Organized cultural activities with Spanish and international students
- Citywide festivals, such as Moros y Cristianos, Hogueras de San Juan, and Carnaval
- Volunteer opportunities
- Access to campus life through student clubs, organizations, and university events
- Homestays with local families
...with Spanish Studies Abroad
Spanish Studies Abroad program fees include tuition, room & board, meals, support of the onsite Spanish Studies Abroad Resident Director, pre-departure support, laundry, overnight and local study visits, cultural activities, orientation, health insurance, computer access, and a Spanish Studies Abroad transcript. Optional trips and activities are also available through the university.
- Successful completion of two years of high school Spanish or two semesters of elementary college-level Spanish, heritage speaker, or the equivalent;
- 3.0 GPA in Spanish coursework.
- Enrollment in individual courses, especially language courses, depends upon your placement score on UA's Online Examination and classroom performance during the add/drop period.
Application Process for Other Approved Programs
Spanish Studies Abroad
446 Main Street
Amherst MA, 01002
tel: (413) 256-0011
This program is offered through one of our approved program partners. In order to participate you must apply through, and be approved, by both St. Thomas and the program.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines:
- Attend a first-step session. Dates posted online at stthomas.edu/studyabroad.
- Schedule an advising meeting. This meeting will review:
- any questions you have about studying abroad, including program selection if you are considering multiple programs.
- the course approval process
- how to apply to Other Approved Programs
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection.
- Complete all St. Thomas application materials by the St. Thomas application deadline.
- Complete program application via the program’s website by their deadline.
October 1 for January Term and spring semester programs
March 15 for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
St Thomas Criteria for Participation
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Explore & Plan > Student Policies.
- Some programs have additional criteria.
Financial Aid Awards (grants, loans and scholarships) typically apply to semester study abroad. Visit stthomas.edu/financialaid for instructions.
The Office of Study Abroad, and other approved program partners, offers scholarships. Visit stthomas.edu/studyabroad, and the program’s website, for details.
For additional program information, contact the program partner.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
MHC 212 (Mail 5026)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA