The University of Sheffield, founded in 1905, is one of the leading universities in England. With about 24,000 students, if offers degrees in a wide range of disciplines. It is located in the heart of Sheffield, England's fourth-largest city, only a couple hours by train from London. By living in the residence halls and taking classes alongside British students, the University offers international students the chance to immerse themselves into British university life.
The University of Sheffield offers a wide range of disciplines, and its engineering program is one of only a couple programs recommended by the UST School of Engineering for study abroad. Engineering students can take engineering courses at Sheffield that will transfer back toward their degree at St. Thomas. As well, students can take courses to fulfill core requirements.
The International Office at the University of Sheffield welcomes study abroad students from all over the world, every semester, and offers an orientation, visa/immigration support as well as general support.
The Student Union at Sheffield is the centerpoint of student activity, and international students are encouraged to get involved with on-campus events, organizations and sports teams.
Students will live on-campus in residence halls with British and other international students.
Application Process for Other Approved Programs
This program is offered through one of our approved program partners. In order to participate you must apply through, and be approved, by both St. Thomas and the program.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines:
- Attend a first-step session. Dates posted online at stthomas.edu/studyabroad.
- Schedule an advising meeting. This meeting will review:
- any questions you have about studying abroad, including program selection if you are considering multiple programs.
- the course approval process
- how to apply to Other Approved Programs
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection.
- Complete all St. Thomas application materials by the St. Thomas application deadline.
- Complete program application via the program’s website by their deadline.
October 1 for January Term and spring semester programs
March 15 for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
St Thomas Criteria for Participation
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Explore & Plan > Student Policies.
- Some programs have additional criteria.
Financial Aid Awards (grants, loans and scholarships) typically apply to semester study abroad. Visit stthomas.edu/financialaid for instructions.
The Office of Study Abroad, and other approved program partners, offers scholarships. Visit stthomas.edu/studyabroad, and the program’s website, for details.
For additional program information, contact the program partner.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad:
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
MHC 212 (Mail 5026)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA