Risk Management and Insurance in London
- This course will provide students with a solid connection between the actuarial science field and the business world of insurance and organizational risk management in a global context. London is, and has been for over 350 years, the world’s center for insurance. Even today, virtually all risks underwritten in the world pass through the London market.
- Globalization means that students need to develop an international perspective and a deeper understanding of the role of culture in the work they are preparing to undertake. Tying this substantive learning experience into a global context is an essential outcome of the course.
- Guest lecturers and short term case study providers, the actuaries we are in the process of engaging, come from the UK, Germany, Japan, Australia, Canada, the US, Denmark, China (Hong Kong), India, and Brazil, specifically selected to provide a wide diversity of perspectives and experience.
- Prerequisites: Sophomore standing
- Fulfills: ACSC 220
Pre-trip participation/quiz 5 %
Classroom participation 20 %
Individual presentation 15 %
Team project presentation (incl. proposal & handout) 35 %
Examinations (mid-term and take-home final) 25 %
Location and Dates
January 1 Depart MSP for London
January 2 Arrive in London
January 23 Depart London for MSP
Click on the Program Cost
link above for detailed cost information.
Total cost includes: tuition, transportation and course arrangements as indicated, hotel accommodations and some meals.
Housing and Meals
Students will stay in twin rooms. Occasional meals will be provided by the program.
Application Procedures & Deadline
- Select the Apply Now button at the top to start your online application.
- Log in using your St. Thomas username and password.
- Complete all application materials by the application deadline. Students are encouraged to apply during the priority enrollment period, April 1-10. Applications will be accepted after April 10 for programs with space still remaining until the final application deadline of October 1.
- Download and read Short-Term Off-Campus Policies and Procedures. You are responsible for reading, understanding and abiding by its content.
Priority Application Deadline: April 10, 2022
Final Application Deadline: October 1, 2022
For more information
Students studying abroad during J-Term are generally only eligible for additional loans to help finance their study abroad costs. Please review Financial Aid for Study Abroad
. Scholarships may also be available from St. Thomas and some Other Approved Programs. Please refer to our Scholarships
webpage for details and review Short-Term Off-Campus Policies and Procedures
for additional financial aid information.
On course content, contact the program directors:
Prof. Peter Young, Opus College of Business: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
Prof. Mike Axtel, Mathematics and Actuarial Science: email@example.com, 651-962-5495
On application procedures or logistical information, contact:
Office of Study Abroad |
University of St. Thomas
Murray-Herrick 212 | 651.962.6450 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Sustainability & Study Abroad: CO2 Emissions for This Program
The flights for this program release 1.2975 metric tons of CO2 into the atmosphere. To put that into perspective, this is equivalent to CO2 emissions from 165,476 smartphone charges. Another way to look at this is that it would take 55.2 bags of waste recycled instead of brought to a landfill OR 49.3 incandescent lamps switched to LEDs to offset these CO2 emissions. We encourage students to make decisions to offset their carbon production from studying abroad. Check out the CoolClimate Network’s carbon footprint calculator
to identify and quantify specific behavior changes that can reduce your greenhouse gas emissions.