CIEE Diplomacy and Policy Studies Program in Amman, Jordan
Diplomats and policymakers need linguistic skills and an understanding of how local and regional issues relate to global issues. Through our Diplomacy and Policy Studies program, you’ll be immersed in the contemporary Middle East with an opportunity to experience first-hand the region’s culture, history, and politics through intensive language study, specialized coursework, excursions, cultural and volunteer activities, and much more.
Study abroad in Jordan and you will:
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
Co-Sponsored Program Policy & Deadlines
- Learn about international relations, political science, and economics with a Middle Eastern and Jordanian focus
- Engage with local experts, government officials, and diplomats through special cooperation with the Jordan Institute of Diplomacy (JID)
- Improve your Arabic language skills through coursework in both Modern Standard Arabic and Colloquial Jordanian Arabic
- Partake in an optional internship at a local or international development organization
This program is co-sponsored by the University of St. Thomas and the program provider. In order to participate on this program you must apply through and be approved by both St Thomas and the program provider.
Prior to beginning an application you must attend an Advising Meeting with a study abroad advisor. During this meeting the advisor will help you confirm your program selection, cover the application process, and grant you access to the UST online application.
UST approval to study abroad ensures you remain a full time St. Thomas student while studying abroad and that your credits count towards your degree.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines:
for January Term and spring semester programs
for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
Criteria for Participation
- Attend a First Step Session. Schedule under ‘Get Started’.
- Schedule an Advising Meeting. This meeting covers: the course approval process and how to apply to a co-sponsored program
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection if you did not choose one during the advising meeting.
- Once you have selected a program and notified your advisor, login to stthomas.edu/studyabroad using your UST username and password.
- Go to ‘Applicant Home’ to access the UST program application. (If the application is not available, e-mail your study abroad advisor to request that it be set up for you.)
- Complete all UST application materials by the application deadline.
- Complete program provider application via the provider website by the application deadline.
- Download and read Off-Campus Policies and Procedures (stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Student Policies). You are responsible for reading, understanding and abiding by its content.
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5. Note, some programs require a higher average.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Student Policies.
In most cases all grants, loans and scholarships will apply to UST-sponsored and co-sponsored fall, spring or year-long programs. You must make an appointment with a financial aid counselor to verify and confirm all financial aid awards.
Additional aid in the form of scholarships may also be available from St. Thomas and some co-sponsoring organizations. Refer to our Scholarships
webpage for details.
For more information on CIEE, visit their website.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad.
Office of Study Abroad
International Education Center (on campus: MHC 212)
University of St. Thomas
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA