Education and Spanish Studies Program - Seville, Spain
Seville, a beautiful and ancient city, is known for its winding Moorish streets, Renaissance gardens, grand architecture, and flamenco. Located in a historic downtown mansion, the Center has brought Americans and sevillanos
together since 1969 by actively promoting interaction through language-exchanges, joint fiestas, and outings to cultural events.
Education and Spanish Studies Program
Designed for the student majoring in Education, this program is specially tailored to incorporate Education-focused courses, student teaching, tutoring and other education related activities as part of the study abroad program in Seville, Spain.
This program offers students a variety of content course options taught at our Center - a historic mansion in downtown Seville - and includes numerous cultural activities, day trips and excursions. At the Center, you also benefit from the expertise of our staff, who guide you to more fully immerse yourself in the sevillano
community through volunteer work, local clubs, internships, etc. All courses are taught by local professors. The Education and Spanish Studies Program is designed for the student that has completed at least one semester of intermediate college Spanish or the equivalent.
Learn the Language...
- Complete an Education Practicum at a local school
- Tutor Spanish children
- Variety of education courses offered at our historical Center, built in two turn-of-the-century mansions
- For high advanced students the opportunity to enroll in education courses at Universidad de Sevilla or Universidad Pablo de Olavide (6 semesters college Spanish or equivalent, B1 placement test score)
- Earn up to 8 credits in Spanish language
- Independent Research Projects, Internship or Service Learning Course Options
- Semesters begin with an intensive language period (Monday-Friday)
- Average class size: 10-12
- 12-18 semester credits
Travel the Land...
- All-inclusive program-sponsored study trips
- Visits to locations such as Granada and the Alhambra, Ronda, Córdoba and the Great Mosque, Itálica, and more!
- Optional excursions to various other sites in Spain, Morocco, and Portugal
Live the Life...
- Courses designed to aid cultural adaptation
- Monthly fiestas for American and Spanish students at the Center in Seville
- Sevillanas dance classes and citywide festivals, such as Feria, Andalucía's largest folkloric festival
- Internships, service learning projects, and volunteer opportunities
- Homestays with local families or housing in student residence halls with Spanish students
...with Spanish Studies Abroad
- Double occupancy room & full board
- Overnight & local study visits & cultural activities
- Health Insurance
- Spanish Studies transcript
- Support of onsite staff
- All courses are taught in Spanish by highly qualified local professors at our Center in downtown Seville.
- Course List
Students may select to live with a local host family or in a student residencia*.
*Residencia spaces are limited and students with special health and dietary needs have first priority.
- 3.0 GPA in Spanish language coursework
- One semester of intermediate college-level Spanish or the equivalent
Spanish Studies Abroad
446 Main Street
Amherst MA, 01002
tel: (413) 256-0011
Application Process for Other Approved Programs
This program is offered through one of our approved program partners. In order to participate you must apply through, and be approved, by both St. Thomas and the program.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines
- Attend a first-step session. Dates posted online at stthomas.edu/studyabroad.
- Schedule an advising meeting. This meeting will review:
- any questions you have about studying abroad, including program selection if you are considering multiple programs.
- the course approval process
- how to apply to Other Approved Programs
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection.
- Complete all St. Thomas application materials by the St. Thomas application deadline.
- Complete program application via the program’s website by their deadline.
October 1 for January Term and spring semester programs
March 15 for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
St Thomas Criteria for Participation
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Student Policies.
- Some programs have additional criteria.
Financial Aid Awards (grants, loans and scholarships) typically apply to study abroad. Visit stthomas.edu/financialaid for instructions.
The Office of Study Abroad, and other approved program partners, offers scholarships. Visit stthomas.edu/studyabroad, and the program’s website, for details.
For additional program information, contact the program provider.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad.
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
MHC 212 (Mail 5026)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA