SFS KENYA/TANZANIA: FUNDAMENTALS OF WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT (SUMMER I)
- Term: Summer Session I
- Credits: 4 semester-hour credits (8 credits if taken with Session II)
- Prerequisites: No course prerequisites: 18 years of age
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions. Early applications encouraged
- Financial Aid: All accepted students can apply for need-based scholarships, grants, and loans
Spend your summer in Kenya and Tanzania, two of Africa’s most renowned wildlife destinations. In these two countries, world-famous national parks and reserves are full of wild creatures found nowhere else on the planet. Spend your summer in this incredible region, studying elephants, lions, giraffes, zebras, and other iconic wildlife while learning about approaches to wildlife management and conservation. Safari drives, expeditions in the Amboseli-Tsavo and Tarangire-Manyara ecosystems, and conversations with Maasai and other community members are your ordinary days in the field during this summer program.
- Experience the incredible biodiversity of East Africa: Spend four weeks in both Kenya and Tanzania, living at SFS’ Kilimanjaro Bush Camp and Moyo Hill Camp while observing elephants, lions, giraffes, and more.
Learn to live the pole pole
lifestyle at SFS’ East Africa Centers. In Tanzania, campus is reminiscent of summer camp, with plenty of outdoor and communal spaces, while the small, friendly community of Rhotia is a short walk away. In Kenya, the snow-capped peak of Mt. Kilimanjaro can be seen from the sprawling, grassy campus that is just down the road from Kimana. Both are the perfect base for expeditions into the surrounding national parks and conservation areas.
Take back-to-back summer sessions and get the hands-on learning and skill-building experiences of an internship, while also going off the beaten path and exploring the world. Each summer session focuses on a different topic, and you’ll have time to travel independently between sessions. Receive a $1,000 discount on your second session.
CONNECT WITH SFS
Visit the SFS website
Call the Admissions Hotline at 800.989.4418
Read updates from the field on the SFS Blog
Follow SFS on Instagram
Watch student videos on YouTube
Application Process for Other Approved Programs
This program is offered through one of our approved program partners. In order to participate you must apply through, and be approved, by both St. Thomas and the program.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines
- Attend a group advising session. Dates posted online at stthomas.edu/studyabroad.
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection.
- Complete all St. Thomas application materials by the St. Thomas application deadline.
- Complete program application via the program’s website by their deadline.
October 1 for January Term and spring semester programs
March 15 for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
St Thomas Criteria for Participation
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Explore & Plan > Student Policies.
- Some programs have additional criteria.
Financial Aid Awards (grants, loans and scholarships) typically do NOT apply to Summer study abroad. Visit stthomas.edu/financialaid for more information.
The Office of Study Abroad, and other approved program partners, offers scholarships. Visit stthomas.edu/studyabroad, and the program’s website, for details.
For additional program information, contact the program partner.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
MHC 212 (Mail 5026)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA