CIEE Advanced Liberal Arts Program in Seville, Spain
What’s the best way to make your rock-solid Spanish language skills even stronger? Head for Seville, where you’ll earn credits alongside Spanish students at top universities. With majestic cathedrals, royal palaces, and tantalizing fare everywhere, you’ll find context and inspiration to advance your language skills and liberal arts studies. Nearly always in the sun, Seville is a warm, welcoming place to absorb Spain’s unique culture and challenge yourself reach for meet new goals.
Study abroad in Seville and you'll:
- Explore a new place, taste, or experience every week, with activities and excursions that illuminate everything you’re learning.
- Live with a Spanish family at their Seville home – soon you’ll be thinking in Spanish as you live like a native.
- Fine-tune your language skills with CIEE Language Resource Center tutorials, Tertulia lecture series, workshops, a conversation exchange, and volunteer opportunities.
- Start your adventure off in high-gear, with a three-day trip to the mountains to ramp up your language skills with fun activities.
Founded in 1994, this program is designed for students with advanced Spanish language skills and strong academic backgrounds. Students take most classes with Spanish students at the Universidad de Seville and/or Universidad Pablo de Olavide, and can also from a variety of specialized CIEE electives. Whether you’re interested in business or engineering, language arts, the humanities or social sciences, you’ll be able to explore your interests and earn credit toward your degree in Seville.
Universidad de Sevilla – This university has been one of Spain’s leading institutions of higher learning since the 16th century, and now hosts some 75,000 students. Its many schools, departments, and institutes, serve the educational needs of Spain’s most populous region.
Universidad Pablo de Olavide (UPO) – With nearly 11,000 students, UPO is the second largest state university in Seville. Its 345-acre campus is 30-minutes from the center of the city. UPO offers undergraduate and graduate programs in traditional majors, as well other areas, from biotechnology to translation. Modern facilities include campus-wide Internet access, sports facilities, science labs, and more.
CIEE Study Center – Our home is a beautifully renovated palace, originally built in 1725. Close to the Royal Alcazar palace, it’s a 10-minute walk from the Universidad de Seville. The Center includes classrooms, a computer room, student services, the Center for Linguistic Resources, and the Liberal Arts team.
Language placement: Prior to departure for Seville, all students take a scheduled CIEE online placement exam. Results determine appropriate placement in language courses. Placement in many upper-level courses depends on a high score.
Language support: Our Center of Linguistic Resources is staffed by language professors and Spanish students majoring in Spanish philology. Tutorials that focus university course content are also offered. Spanish classmates and graduate students help CIEE students with their university work. Students can also request personal tutors.
Students agree to speak only Spanish to encourage language and cultural acquisition.
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
Application Process for Other Approved Programs
This program is offered through one of our approved program partners. In order to participate you must apply through, and be approved, by both St. Thomas and the program.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines
- Attend a first-step session. Dates posted online at stthomas.edu/studyabroad.
- Schedule an advising meeting. This meeting will review:
- any questions you have about studying abroad, including program selection if you are considering multiple programs.
- the course approval process
- how to apply to Other Approved Programs
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection.
- Complete all St. Thomas application materials by the St. Thomas application deadline.
- Complete program application via the program’s website by their deadline.
October 1 for January Term and spring semester programs
March 15 for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
St Thomas Criteria for Participation
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Student Policies.
- Some programs have additional criteria.
Financial Aid Awards (grants, loans and scholarships) typically apply to study abroad. Visit stthomas.edu/financialaid for instructions.
The Office of Study Abroad, and other approved program partners, offers scholarships. Visit stthomas.edu/studyabroad, and the program’s website, for details.
For additional program information, contact the program partner.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad.
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
MHC 212 (Mail 5026)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA