Tucked at the foot of the Black Forest, Freiburg is the quintessential southern German town, with its winding streets and historic architecture. It is also home to Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, consistently rated one of the top universities in Germany. We invite you to study abroad in Freiburg and to immerse yourself in student life and German language in this vibrant university town.
Ideal for students interested in rapidly improving their German language skills, the IES Abroad Freiburg Program offers you IES Abroad and university courses taught in German by distinguished local faculty.
You can also enroll in courses at Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg or other local academic institutions where you will experience the German education system first-hand.
Visit www.IESabroad.org for complete program details.
NOTE: Program dates listed in Studio Abroad are approximate. Please refer to IES Abroad predeparture materials for planning travel.
It is impossible not to fall in love with Freiburg. Maybe it's the curving cobblestone streets, medieval architecture, and beautiful cathedral. Or maybe it's the city's progressive mindset--Freiburg shows a remarkable commitment to the environment and the development of sustainable technologies. Either way, we invite you to study abroad in Freiburg and discover all there is to love about this enchanting university town.
Whether it's an orientation program that makes you feel prepared, housing that is well-located and comfortable, or the field trips that take you to places off the beaten path--we're all about our student services. To find out more specific details, click here and select the Student Life tab.
About IES Abroad
Everything we do is about the IES Abroad student. Our profoundly passionate team of study abroad professionals believes in creating once-in-a-lifetime educational adventures that transcend expectations. Our goal is to rock the world of some 6,000 study abroad students every year. From our headquarters in Chicago to our 115+ study abroad programs in more than 35 global locations worldwide, we create authentic global education and life-affirming cultural experiences.
Discover more about what we offer with all of our programs.
Request a Catalog
Email an Advisor
Contact a Past Participant
Call us at 800.995.2300
Application Process for Other Approved Programs
This program is offered through one of our approved program partners. In order to participate you must apply through, and be approved, by both St. Thomas and the program.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines
- Attend a first-step session. Dates posted online at stthomas.edu/studyabroad.
- Schedule an advising meeting. This meeting will review:
- any questions you have about studying abroad, including program selection if you are considering multiple programs.
- the course approval process
- how to apply to Other Approved Programs
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection.
- Complete all St. Thomas application materials by the St. Thomas application deadline.
- Complete program application via the program’s website by their deadline.
October 1 for January Term and spring semester programs
March 15 for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
St Thomas Criteria for Participation
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Student Policies.
- Some programs have additional criteria.
Financial Aid Awards (grants, loans and scholarships) typically apply to study abroad. Visit stthomas.edu/financialaid for instructions.
The Office of Study Abroad, and other approved program partners, offers scholarships. Visit stthomas.edu/studyabroad, and the program’s website, for details.
For additional program information, contact the program partner.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad.
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
MHC 212 (Mail 5026)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA