Integrated Studies Program - Alicante, Spain
Why choose Alicante?
Alicante, the jewel of the Costa Blanca, is a charming harbor city that is both tranquil in its coastal climate and vibrant with modern Spanish life. The culture, architecture, language, and people have all been shaped by the region's rich history of sea merchants and conquerors.
The Integrated Studies Program - Universidad de Alicante
The Integrated Studies Program gives students the unique opportunity to take classes alongside Spanish students at the Universidad de Alicante, while benefiting from the cultural guidance, language tools, and academic quality that defines Spanish Studies Abroad programming.
We blend a thoughtful synthesis of homestays, study visits, language exchanges, volunteering, and other cultural opportunities into the curriculum, so that you may more fully integrate with the alicantino culture.
LEARN THE LANGUAGE...
- The Intensive Language Period is designed to prepare you for life and studying on a foreign campus.
- Guided direct enrollment in a wide-array of courses offered through Universidad de Alicante
- Classes taught by Spanish professors
- Independent Research Projects option
- Intercambios (speaking partners) with native speakers.
TRAVEL THE LAND...
- All-inclusive program-sponsored study trips across the country
- Visits to locations such as Granada, Barcelona, los castillos árabes of Alicante, Cathedral of San Nicolás, local museums, cultural sites, and more!
- Optional excursions to various other sites in Spain
LIVE THE LIFE...
- Courses designed to aid in cultural adaptation
- Organized cultural activities with Spanish and international students
- Citywide festivals, such as Moros y Cristianos, Hogueras de San Juan, and Carnaval
- Internships and volunteer opportunities
- Access to campus life through student clubs, organizations, and university events
- Homestays with local families
...with Spanish Studies Abroad
The goal of the Integrated Studies Program is to help you become a member of the community, while gaining a profound understanding of your surroundings. An initial intensive language & culture period prepares you for the challenges of studying in a foreign university and provides you with a base to help you navigate through your experience, after which you take courses alongside Spanish students from Universidad de Alicante's regular course offerings from a variety of departments.
Through the university, you also benefit from access to abundant cultural resources, workshops, and activities, all of which allow you to more fully integrate into campus life. Alongside homestays with local families and a Spanish Studies course in cultural engagement, students will find Spanish Studies Abroad in Alicante to be a highly immersive study abroad experience.
- Tuition, room & board, meals
- Support of Resident Director
- Pre-departure support
- Health Insurance
- Overnight and local study visits
- Cultural activities, orientation, health insurance computer access, and a Spanish Studies Abroad transcript.
- Optional trips and activities are also available through the university!
- Successful completion of two semesters of advanced college-level Spanish, or the equivalent or heritage speaker
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in Spanish coursework
- Approval from Universidad de Alicante, based upon their online language assessment
Application Process for Other Approved Programs
Spanish Studies Abroad
446 Main Street
Amherst MA, 01002
This program is offered through one of our approved program partners. In order to participate you must apply through, and be approved, by both St. Thomas and the program.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines:
- Attend a first-step session. Dates posted online at stthomas.edu/studyabroad.
- Schedule an advising meeting. This meeting will review:
- any questions you have about studying abroad, including program selection if you are considering multiple programs.
- the course approval process
- how to apply to Other Approved Programs
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection.
- Complete all St. Thomas application materials by the St. Thomas application deadline.
- Complete program application via the program’s website by their deadline.
October 1 for January Term and spring semester programs
March 15 for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
St Thomas Criteria for Participation
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Explore & Plan > Student Policies.
- Some programs have additional criteria.
Financial Aid Awards (grants, loans and scholarships) typically apply to semester study abroad. Visit stthomas.edu/financialaid for instructions.
The Office of Study Abroad, and other approved program partners, offers scholarships. Visit stthomas.edu/studyabroad, and the program’s website, for details.
For additional program information, contact the program partner.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
MHC 212 (Mail 5026)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA