January Term - Seville, Spain
Why choose Seville?
Seville, a beautiful and ancient city on the banks of the Guadalquivir River, is the centerpiece of your study abroad experience. Seville has a temperate climate and rich cultural life. As the land of Carmen and Don Juan, Seville embodies the culture of Southern Spain. In this picturesque city, you will discover moorish palaces and renaissance gardens, flowered patios, paintings, statues, flamenco dancing and music, bull fights at La Real de Caballería
, and the Spanish way of life.
About the January Term
Offering intensive language work at both the intermediate and advanced levels, this 3 1/2 week term is designed to be taken on its own or as preparation for the Spring Semester Program.
It is ideal for students who have been away from the study of Spanish for some time, or want additional language preparation before entering the Spanish Studies or Integrated Studies programs. Also offered in Spanish is SPAN 312J - Foundations of Spanish Culture, which may be taken for graduate credit.
TRAVEL THE LAND...
- Dedication to academic excellence
- Classes meet Monday through Friday for a total of 60 contact hours
- Average class size: 10-12
- 4 semester credits
- 3.0 overall GPA required
- Note specific prerequisites for each course
The Spanish Studies January term features all-inclusive program-sponsored excursions to places such as Córdoba & the Roman Ruins of Itálica! Afternoons offer you study visits within Seville, tertulias
(lectures), movies, or theater and musical performances.
- Double occupancy room & full board
- Day-trip, local study visits & cultural activities
- Health Insurance
- Spanish Studies transcript
- Support of onsite staff
- 3.0 overall GPA required
- Completion of Elementary Spanish or the equivalent
Spanish Studies Abroad
446 Main Street
Amherst MA, 01002
tel: (413) 256-0011
Application Process for Other Approved Programs
This program is offered through one of our approved program partners. In order to participate you must apply through, and be approved, by both St. Thomas and the program.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines
- Attend a group advising session. Dates posted online at stthomas.edu/studyabroad.
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection.
- Complete all St. Thomas application materials by the St. Thomas application deadline.
- Complete program application via the program’s website by their deadline.
October 1 for January Term and spring semester programs
March 15 for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
St Thomas Criteria for Participation
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Explore & Plan > Student Policies.
- Some programs have additional criteria.
Financial Aid Awards (grants, loans and scholarships) typically do NOT apply to January Term study abroad. Visit stthomas.edu/financialaid for more information.
The Office of Study Abroad, and other approved program partners, offers scholarships. Visit stthomas.edu/studyabroad, and the program’s website, for details.
For additional program information, contact the program partner.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
MHC 212 (Mail 5026)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA