Integrated Studies Program - Havana, Cuba
Why choose Havana?
The city of La Habana, founded in 1514, and named after a local aboriginal chief, is Cuba’s cosmopolitan capital. Havana was once one of the most prosperous ports, and the third most populous city in the Americas. A beautiful city, with idyllic landscapes, captivating bays, and a rich, diverse culture, Havana is the site for an ideal learning experience.
Integrated Studies Program at Universidad de la Habana
The Integrated Studies Program gives intermediate to advanced Spanish-level students the unique opportunity to take language and content courses designed for international students studying Spanish, and integrated courses with Cuban students at Universidad de la Habana, all while benefiting from the cultural guidance, language tools, and academic quality that defines Spanish Studies Abroad.
The goal of the Integrated Studies Program is to guide you to live as a member of this community, while gaining a profound understanding of your surroundings.
In this atmosphere of constant immersion, you will share daily activities with fellow Cuban and international students, whether attending classes or socializing. Courses designed for international students learning Spanish, classes with Cuban students, and access to abundant cultural resources, workshops, and activities allow you to more fully integrate into campus life at Universidad de la Habana.
Learn the Language...
All-inclusive program-sponsored study trips
- All classes taught in Spanish by Cuban professors
- Courses designed for international students in a variety of disciplines
- Guided direct enrollment in a wide range of courses at Universidad de la Habana
- Optional Independent Research Projects.
Visits to locations such as Old Havana, the Museum of the Revolution, Farmers' Markets, grassroots community centers, jazz, salsa and hip-hop concerts, Cienfuegos province, the colonial city of Trinidad, and more!
Spanish Studies Abroad program fees include tuition, room & board (homestay), meals, support of the onsite Resident Director, pre-departure support, laundry, overnight and local study visits, cultural activities, orientation, health insurance, computer access, and a Spanish Studies Abroad transcript. Optional activities are also available through the university.
Successful completion of two semesters in advanced college-level Spanish or the equivalent.
Application Process for Other Approved Programs
This program is offered through one of our approved program partners. In order to participate you must apply through, and be approved, by both St. Thomas and the program.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines:
- Attend a first-step session. Dates posted online at stthomas.edu/studyabroad.
- Schedule an advising meeting. This meeting will review:
- any questions you have about studying abroad, including program selection if you are considering multiple programs.
- the course approval process
- how to apply to Other Approved Programs
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection.
- Complete all St. Thomas application materials by the St. Thomas application deadline.
- Complete program application via the program’s website by their deadline.
October 1 for January Term and spring semester programs
March 15 for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
St Thomas Criteria for Participation
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Explore & Plan > Student Policies.
- Some programs have additional criteria.
Financial Aid Awards (grants, loans and scholarships) typically apply to semester study abroad. Visit stthomas.edu/financialaid for instructions.
The Office of Study Abroad, and other approved program partners, offers scholarships. Visit stthomas.edu/studyabroad, and the program’s website, for details.
For additional program information, contact the program partner.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
MHC 212 (Mail 5026)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA