CIEE Summer Sustainability and the Environment Program in Monteverde, Costa Rica
The CIEE short-term program in Sustainability and the Environment offers students a unique opportunity to live on the edge of the world famous Monteverde cloud forest and explore sustainable development, biodiversity conservation, and ecological engineering in Costa Rica. There is no better setting to study these topics than in the little country with the big reputation for protecting natural capital, harnessing renewable energies, and creating secure food systems in ways that grow the economy. Costa Rica has so much to teach the world!
Study abroad in Costa Rica and you’ll:
Find out more.
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
Application Process for Other Approved Programs
- Attend classes in Sustainable Development (Session I), Conservation Biology (Session II), or Environmental Engineering (Session III)
- Live with a local family, advance your Spanish skills, and integrate into Costa Rican culture
- Take excursions to national parks, volcanoes, farms, island communities, power plants and more
- Apply principles of sustainability to real-life systems
- Learn by getting your hands dirty
This program is offered through one of our approved program partners. In order to participate you must apply through, and be approved, by both St. Thomas and the program.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines
- Attend a first-step session. Dates posted online at stthomas.edu/studyabroad.
- Schedule an advising meeting. This meeting will review:
- any questions you have about studying abroad, including program selection if you are considering multiple programs.
- the course approval process
- how to apply to Other Approved Programs
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection.
- Complete all St. Thomas application materials by the St. Thomas application deadline.
- Complete program application via the program’s website by their deadline.
October 1 for January Term and spring semester programs
March 15 for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
St Thomas Criteria for Participation
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Student Policies.
- Some programs have additional criteria.
Financial Aid Awards (grants, loans and scholarships) typically apply to study abroad. Visit stthomas.edu/financialaid for instructions.
The Office of Study Abroad, and other approved program partners, offers scholarships. Visit stthomas.edu/studyabroad, and the program’s website, for details.
For additional program information, contact the program partner.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad.
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
MHC 212 (Mail 5026)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA