January Term in Alicante, Spain
Alicante, the jewel of the Costa Blanca
, is a charming harbor city that is both tranquil in its coastal climate and vibrant with modern Spanish life. The culture, architecture, language, and people have all been shaped by the region's rich history of sea merchants and conquerors.
The Spanish Studies Abroad January Term in Alicante is specially designed for students entering absolute beginner to high-advanced Spanish levels who want a rich immersion experience on a Spanish campus. This intensive language program is enhanced by homestays, study visits, cultural activities, and optional complementary survey courses, all of which help to bring context to the language and enhance immersion.
Learn the Language...
- Guided direct enrollment in courses specifically-designed for international students learning Spanish
- Spanish-Only Policy
- Classes taught by Spanish professors
- Intercambios with native speakers
Travel the Land...
- All-inclusive program-sponsored study trips
- Visits to locations such as Granada, Valencia, los castillos árabes of Alicante, Cathedral of San Nicolás, local museums and cultural sites, and more!
- Optional excursions to various other sites in Spain
Live the Life...
- Organized cultural activities with Spanish and international students
- Citywide festivals, such as Three King's Day!
- Access to campus resources
- Homestays with local families
...with Spanish Studies Abroad
The goal of the Spanish Studies Abroad January Term is to guide you to live as a member of your host community, while gaining a profound understanding of your surroundings. Courses designed for international student learning Spanish and access to cultural resources and activities allow you to more fully integrate into campus life at Universidad de Alicante
Through university coursework, homestays with native families, and multiple cross-cultural opportunities, students will find Spanish Studies Abroad in Alicante to be a highly immersive and integrated study abroad experience.
Spanish Studies Abroad program fees include tuition, room & board, meals, support of the onsite Resident Director, pre-departure support, laundry, overnight and local study visits, cultural activities, orientation, health insurance, and a Spanish Studies transcript. Optional trips and activities are also available through the university.
Minimum 3.0 overall GPA. Enrollment in individual courses depends upon your placement score on UA's Online Examination.
Start your online application today
Spanish Studies Abroad
446 Main Street
Amherst MA, 01002
Application Process for Other Approved Programs
This program is offered through one of our approved program partners. In order to participate you must apply through, and be approved, by both St. Thomas and the program.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines
- Attend a group advising session. Dates posted online at stthomas.edu/studyabroad.
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection.
- Complete all St. Thomas application materials by the St. Thomas application deadline.
- Complete program application via the program’s website by their deadline.
October 1 for January Term and spring semester programs
March 15 for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
St Thomas Criteria for Participation
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Explore & Plan > Student Policies.
- Some programs have additional criteria.
Financial Aid Awards (grants, loans and scholarships) typically do NOT apply to January Term study abroad. Visit stthomas.edu/financialaid for more information.
The Office of Study Abroad, and other approved program partners, offers scholarships. Visit stthomas.edu/studyabroad, and the program’s website, for details.
For additional program information, contact the program partner.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
MHC 212 (Mail 5026)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA