Investigate how the international community addresses the challenges of meeting the nutrition, food security, and health needs of populations in the 21st century.
- Examine food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), and Slow Food culture in Switzerland and Istria.
- Learn from food security and nutrition experts at governmental, intergovernmental, and nongovernmental agencies.
- Complete an in-depth independent research project.
- Study French and live with a family in the French-speaking canton of Vaud, where you’ll be immersed in Francophone culture.
- Enjoy access to research and documentation centers such as the United Nations Library, the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, the International Institute for Sustainable Development, and the Swiss Federal Polytechnic Institute in Lausanne.
- Explore Istria, at the crossroads of Germanic, Latin, and Slavic cultures, and enjoy its high-quality olive oils and truffles. Spend a day in Venice.
- Develop networking skills and global contacts in the fields of food security, nutrition, and public health.
Please visit the SIT Study Abroad website for details on the program courses (including syllabi), educational excursions, and housing.
Key Topics of Study
Genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
Slow Food culture in the contexts of Switzerland and Istria
Public health and non-communicable diseases
Obesity, under-nutrition, and inadequate nutrition
Infant and child feeding
Be sure to discuss how study abroad costs are handled at your school with your study abroad advisor.
SIT tuition and room and board fees include the following:
- All educational costs, including educational excursions
- All accommodations and meals for the full program duration
- Transportation to and from the airport, and on all educational excursions
- Health and accident insurance
- SIT awards nearly $1.6 million in scholarships and grants annually.
- All scholarships and grants are need-based.
- Awards generally range from $500 to $5,000.
- Contact the financial aid and/or study abroad office(s) at your college or university to learn if your school’s scholarships and grants and federal and state aid programs can be applied to an SIT Study Abroad program.
Contact SIT Study Abroad
Application Process for Other Approved Programs
This program is offered through one of our approved program partners. In order to participate you must apply through, and be approved, by both St. Thomas and the program.
University of St. Thomas application deadlines
- Attend a group advising session. Dates posted online at stthomas.edu/studyabroad.
- Notify your study abroad advisor of final program selection.
- Complete all St. Thomas application materials by the St. Thomas application deadline.
- Complete program application via the program’s website by their deadline.
October 1 for January Term and spring semester programs
March 15 for summer, fall semester and year-long programs.
Please note that some programs have deadlines earlier than St. Thomas.
St Thomas Criteria for Participation
- Minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Students may not apply for, maintain an approved application, nor participate in a Study Abroad program while on academic or conduct probation. Any disciplinary records may be a consideration for approval to participate in an off-campus programs.
- View all eligibility requirements for study abroad through St. Thomas: stthomas.edu/studyabroad > Explore & Plan > Student Policies.
- Some programs have additional criteria.
Financial Aid Awards (grants, loans and scholarships) typically do NOT apply to Summer study abroad. Visit stthomas.edu/financialaid for more information.
The Office of Study Abroad, and other approved program partners, offers scholarships. Visit stthomas.edu/studyabroad, and the program’s website, for details.
For additional program information, contact the program partner.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad.
For application procedures contact Study Abroad
Office of Study Abroad
University of St. Thomas
MHC 212 (Mail 5026)
2115 Summit Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105-1096 USA